Monday, April 27, 2009

Pre-op and Ready

This afternoon I had my pre-op appointment with the anesthesiologist at Rockyview. Because of my allergy to general anesthetic, they always have me go in and make sure that the file is up-to-date, just in case I need their help at the end of pregnancy.
Everything looks great.
Worst case scenario would be an ultra-emergency c-section with a general anesthetic and at worst, it would just take me longer to "come out of it". (They would only use the medication that I am allergic to because it works extremely quickly - so in a "life or limb" situation). The next worst would be a regular emergency c-section (ie. no time for a local epidural to kick in) and they would use an alternate anesthetic that works but tends to make people pretty ill afterward. The best case scenario (if I needed a c-section) would be where I've already had an epidural and they just need to up the freezing to operate.
As before, I was assured that the biggest challenge is knowing ahead of time what I am allergic to and just like the first two pregnancies, I was advised that if I am considering an epidural to go for it sooner rather than later (in the off-chance that they need to do a c-section).
Overall, I'm not worried. Given how quickly Kyla arrived (especially compared to Isabelle), I'm fully expecting to not have enough time for an epidural. Still, it's nice to know that I'm at the top of their list should I need one!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The reality of this just sunk in. 3rd baby delivery. We are going to have to watch carefully for signs of labour. so we don't get caught out somewhere. I say 'we' you know, in the sense of that week where I am on deck! It sure would be nice if you don't have Braxton Hicks this time. What are the chances of that I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time does fly... What kind of casseroles would you like? Or would you like some banana bread etc? If we had your requests in advance then we can prepare too!

    ReplyDelete