Friday, July 31, 2009

Whatta Week!!

This is what this past week has looked like for us . . . . .

Friday, July 24
8am: I am pretty sure I am in labour (and have been since 8pm the night before) so we drop the girls off at a friend's house and head over to the hospital.
10am: We finally get our pass from Triage into the labour area
Afternoon: Walk the halls, labour away, yadda yadda
5pm: The pain is too much and I ask for an epidural (I'm 4cm at this point)
6:30pm: Anesthesiologist arrives and through contractions that are 90 sec apart and lasting for 45 sec each, makes several attempts at getting the needle into my back
7:00pm: The epidural is in and a quick check now has me at 8cm
7:30pm: We are 10cm and ready to push but need to wait for the doctor
8:00pm: Doctor finally arrives and I tell her to "Get ready to catch"
8:16pm: Kendra Marie is born!!

Saturday, July 25
11am: Doctor checks out Kendra and me and gives us the green light to go home - that's right - barely 15 hours after I have given birth. Alan has just picked up the girls and come to the hospital so he doesn't even have the carseat with him. We decide that Alan should take the girls home for lunch & naps and then come to pick us up.
4pm: Alan, Isabelle, Kyla, Kendra and I go home - the minivan is now full!!

Sunday, July 26
2pm: Due to Kendra's high risk for jaundice (like her sisters before, she was born with an incompatible blood type to mine), the health nurse wants to see her asap. Her levels are creeping up quickly so they want us back the next afternoon.


Monday, July 27
8:30am: Isabelle starts her first day camp of the summer at YMCA
2pm: Kendra's levels have really jumped now so they want a blood sample to confirm the need for phototherapy.
6pm: Call from the health nurse confirms that we are to be readmitted to the Peter Lougheed for phototherapy.
8pm: Kendra & I check into the hospital and she starts tanning

Tuesday July 28
7am: Despite phototherapy overnight, Kendra's billi levels have barely come down at all. Doctors make the decision to keep her under the lights for 24 hours before testing again.
11am: Alan, Isabelle & Kyla stop by the hospital for a visit & lunch. Alan says a long goodbye to Kendra & me because he is leaving for Kingston in the morning.
9:30pm: Alan picks my mom up from the airport

Wednesday, July 29
8:30am: Alan leaves for the airport and my mom is now in charge :)
9am: Kendra's billi levels have dropped dramatically in the last 24 hours so we are cleared to come home once doctors have completed their rounds and the paperwork.
1pm: Kendra and I are on our way home with an order to have more blood taken the next day

Thursday, July 30
9am: After dropping off Isabelle at camp, Kendra is off for bloodwork. We still haven't heard anything so I'm assuming no news is good news

Friday, July 31
After a crazy week, this is first "regular" day that we have had.
I pick up my Dad from the airport tonight at 9:30pm. He is here until Monday night and is looking forward to surprising the girls in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment